Sunday, November 18, 2018

Yellow Submarine: March of the Meanies

The Beatles' animated classic, Yellow Submarine, premiered in the U.S. on November 13th, 1968. This was the first movie I ever saw, though a few years later. It was New Year's Eve and my parents had decided to stay home that year. I was having my usual bath in the kitchen sink and my father was watching The Fab Four's animated antics on television. Channel 5 here in New York regularly showed the film at midnight on the beginning of a new year from the 1970s till about 1988.
I could see the T.V. from my spot in the sink and it was here that my mind was expanded without the use of drugs (I have never relied on them). The psychedelic sights and sounds had a profound effect on me from my tender age of two.
The Blue Meanies were completely frightening and did give me nightmares. For those who don't recognize the main figure in this piece, it is the ECW/WWE wrestler who goes by the same name. Beginning his career in the 1990s, his wrestling presence is the funniest I have ever seen. 
And, for you sticklers out there, yes, I know the Kinky Boot Beast (in the lower right corner next to Robin the Butterfly Stomper) is not a Blue Meanie, but he worked well in this drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yellow Submarine: The Sea of Green

For this group shot of the foursome traveling towards the Sea of Green , I chose to alter the colors of their clothes seen in the film. Th...