Sunday, November 18, 2018

Yellow Submarine: Corgi's Yellow Submarine toy

The only Beatles' collectible I had prior to the 1990s was my mother's copy of Revolver, which she kept in fantastic condition before giving it to me. Beginning twenty years ago, I earnestly started to gather Beatles' memorabilia, or at least try. The '90s marked the era of high-priced vintage collectibles, and many items were unobtainable to me due to cost. 
I grew up with Corgi toys so when I learned they had manufactured a replica of the movie's namesake it was tops on my want list. I found the die-cast mini-sub on two occasions during the decade of the '90s. The first time was at Huntington's Heckscher Park antique show in 1996 where the seller was offering it for -GULP!- $1000.00 in loose, but good condition. No sale. The second time was a year later at the Cold Spring Harbor antique show. This time the sub was in better condition and was in a very good quality original box. The price? $2000.00. Finally, in 2011, I was able to purchase an original Corgi sub (its been reissued eight times over the past twenty years in various variations) from a local dealer for well under $80. Original Beatles memorabilia is difficult to obtain, but eventually, that holds true for new merchandise as well. So, if you see something you like, buy it. Or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yellow Submarine: The Sea of Green

For this group shot of the foursome traveling towards the Sea of Green , I chose to alter the colors of their clothes seen in the film. Th...