Sunday, April 25, 2010

Evel Knievel (Full Color)

The following is a re-post from March of 2008: You'd think that a guy who jumped over greyhound buses & shark tanks for a living would have died years ago. But, Evel Knievel died an old man. In the pre-Star Wars era of the 1970s, superheroes were one of the big cultural fads and, along with Muhammed Ali & Joe Namath, there was Evel Knievel. He actually fit the part of a superhero: he dressed in a red, white, & blue leather jumpsuit with a cape and a fancy walking stick. He looked like Captain America except that he was really a crazy guy on a motorcycle. He jumped canyons in rockets and over the fountains at Caesar's Palace, but he also holds the World's Record for number of broken bones. Despite this reckless lifestyle, it still surprised me when he died. This drawing is a tribute to one of my childhood heroes.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Doug! You have me inspired with your drawing and writing talents. I see and feel so much when looking at your drawings. I know I must not be alone in that thought. You have an audience, I'm sure---quite large, at that. I like your writing style as well, it draws me into your artwork even more. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Yellow Submarine: The Sea of Green

For this group shot of the foursome traveling towards the Sea of Green , I chose to alter the colors of their clothes seen in the film. Th...