Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Halloween Grab Bag '09 - Michael Myers



I'm not a big fan of slasher movies. I understand what created & perpetuated them; the breakdown of our society, but I'm still not crazy about them. A big part of that is film serial killers are based on real-life criminals & that itself is unnerving. Read up on Ed Gein, who was the inspiration for Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and I'm sure plenty of other fictional murderers. Just look at his picture and you'll crap yourself . . . not unlike some of the people I work with. Anyway, I did like John Carpenter's original Halloween. I thought the poster art was especially frightening: the jagged imagery of a jack o'lantern turning into a hand-held knive is jarring.
So, why did I draw a picture of
Michael Myers? This was based on a recent cover story from Fangoriamagazine that spotlighted Rob Zombie's Halloween 2. The image struck me right away: I liked the disintergrated state of his mask. Myers looked worn & beat up. I'm sure many fans took this as a statement on the character's unstoppable nature (which the filmmakers hope to convey). But, I saw it as him unraveling; tired from all his years, the character is falling apart. Its an anti-serial killer image and I find that appealing.
Finally, for some trivia: the original disguise in the Halloween films was, in fact, a Captain Kirk mask that was either unpainted, bleached, or painted white. Included is a picture of Star Trek's creator, Gene Roddenberry, with that same mask from issue 142 of Famous Monsters. Enjoy, kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yellow Submarine: The Sea of Green

For this group shot of the foursome traveling towards the Sea of Green , I chose to alter the colors of their clothes seen in the film. Th...